Philomath Montessori School is hosting Morning Group on Zoom, Mondays – Thursdays at 10AM. Please request an invite if you are interested in joining by emailing email@example.com.
- Session 1 – April 20 – May 14
- Session 2 – May 18 – June 11 (No group on May 25 in observation of Memorial Day)
- If you miss a group and are interested in viewing it at a later time, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a link to the recording.
PREPARING TO USE ZOOM
TO DO Before First Meeting:
- Make sure you have the following:
- A laptop or tablet (or mobile device if necessary – not recommended)
- An internet connection
- Speakers and a microphone – built in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- A webcam – built in or USB plug-in
- If you’re using a laptop or tablet, make sure you have updated your operating system and web browser to their most recent versions.
- It’s been found that out-of-date web browsers may not be able to run Zoom and have trouble connecting the webcam. Certain browsers also seem buggier that others. If you only have one web browser, such as Safari or Explorer, you may want to install Chrome or Firefox as a backup.
- You can download Zoom manually ahead of time here, but it will also download automatically when you join the first meeting (please allow time for this on Monday).
- If you are using a tablet or other device (such as an iphone) install the Zoom Cloud app. The Zoom Cloud app is available for free download on the Google Play or iTunes store and enables you to utilize mobile devices. However, your child will have a better experience on a laptop or tablet.
- Test it! Test your webcam. Test your mic. Test Zoom and make sure it can run on your web browser.
- Please reach out as soon as possible if you need any assistance with the tech stuff!
- If possible, please be available the entire time to assist and supervise your child.
- You can expect to enter the meeting in the “waiting room” where we will admit children one at a time to the group as to not overwhelm the host.
- All student should mute microphones during the group. When a question is asked or an interactive activity begins, we will unmute the student’s microphone from our end. As you can imagine, it is difficult to lead the group effectively with multiple microphones on at once!
- Ongoing, we ask parents to please join the class when possible. The presence of an adult is sometimes enough to keep students engaged and attentive. But, with that said, please do not force your child to participate or make them interact with the screen if it is uncomfortable for them.
MY VIDEO ISN’T WORKING ON ZOOM!
Make sure you have allowed Zoom to turn on video. It will usually prompt you to agree when you request to join a meeting room that you don’t have any other programs open that utilize the webcam– even if the webcam is not currently in use. You’ll need to exit or quit applications like Facetime, Photobooth, etc. If you continue to have problems check out this troubleshooting guide: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/202952568-My-Video-Camera-Isn-t-Working
MY AUDIO ISN’T WORKING ON ZOOM!
Make sure you agreed to allow Zoom to connect to your computer’s audio. Test your microphone to make sure it’s functional. If you are unable to resolve issues with video or audio, check in with us.
DO I NEED TO CREATE A ZOOM ACCOUNT?
You do not need a Zoom account. Simply request to enter the meeting room via the URL we have shared with you in the invite email and wait for us to admit you.
IS ZOOM SAFE FOR STUDENTS TO USE?
We have put several precautionary measures in place to make Zoom as child-friendly as possible, including a virtual “waiting room” so that guests must be approved by a host (teacher) before they can enter a virtual meeting room, and disabling private chat capabilities among participants. We may also remove anyone from the classroom at any time, and/or turn off their audio and video feeds. However, as with any tool connected to the internet, distance learning tools are always safest under parental supervision. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure your child’s safety during class time.
WHAT IS A ZOOM MEETING ROOM?
A Zoom Meeting Room is a chat room with video and audio capabilities for both hosts (teachers) and participants (students). All you have to do to enter the meeting room is click on the link form your email, type the unique link into a web browser, or enter their meeting room ID into the Zoom app. We will receive an alert that you are waiting and can admit you to the meeting room.
WHAT IF I MISS A LIVE CLASS? HOW WILL I ACCESS RECORDED VIDEOS?
All Zoom meetings will be recorded. We may turn off this functionality but you should always assume you’re being recorded while using Zoom. We will email you a link to view a recording of any groups you miss. You will not need to log in to Zoom to access the links to recorded videos.
FOR VIDEO TUTORIALS COVERING A RANGE OF SUPPORT TOPICS, VISIT WWW.ZOOM.US.